TRANSPORTATION HELP FOR SINGLE MOTHERS
You’re a hard-working single mother who has her family on the road to self-sufficiency. Let us provide a reliable car to help you get there. Newgate School offers vehicles to working single moms in the Twin Cities area through our Wheels for Women program.
Providing a Critical Lifeline to Self-Sufficiency
As any parent knows, reliable transportation is a must-have item when you have to get yourself to work and your children to school and daycare. Not to mention trips to the grocery store, doctor's office, and after school activities. Public transportation is helpful, but the Metro isn’t always on-time or available, and if you have kids over six years of age, the fares add up quickly. Rideshare services can also quickly eat into your family’s budget. Wheels for Women provides a vital resource for working moms in and around the Twin Cities, by providing reliable transportation at no charge to women who qualify.
Wheels for Women Application
Helping Hundreds of Metro-Area Families
Through vehicle donations to Newgate School, we are able to help single working moms. Donated vehicles are inspected and refurbished through our Auto Mechanic and Auto Body Training programs. Selected reconditioned vehicles are then donated through Wheels for Women as our students’ way of giving back to the community. To date, we have awarded nearly two million dollars’ worth of vehicles to working mothers in and around the Twin Cities. If you need assistance, please complete our application by clicking on the above link. If you have a vehicle you would like to donate, please click here.
Wondering if You Qualify? Here’s the Selection Criteria
To be considered for a vehicle gift from Newgate School, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a current resident of the seven-county Metro area (Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington counties) and have lived in this area for at least one year
- You are a single female head-of-household with one or more dependent children (under 18 years) living with you
- Your school-age children are enrolled in school
- You are currently working or in school full time or a combination of both
- You have a valid State of Minnesota driver's license
- The State of Minnesota requires proof of auto insurance before the ownership of a vehicle can be transferred to a new owner
- Your current annual income doesn’t exceed $35,000
- You do not own a vehicle or do not have a vehicle available to your household (you may want to check for vehicles that the State of MN has listed in your name)
- You’re able to provide information for verification when requested
How to Apply
If you meet all of the qualifications listed above, you can apply to Wheels for Women using our secure online form. Please note that we only accept applications online. You’ll need your Minnesota driver’s license number, the address of your current employer, and the date you started working there. You’ll also need contact information for your supervisor and any people you want to list as references. If you are enrolled in school or a training program, you’ll want to have that information handy, too.
What Happens After You Apply
After you submit your application, this is what you can expect:
- The Wheels for Women administrator reviews the applications for completeness.
- Newgate's selection committee screens all qualified applicant's needs to available vehicles.
- If additional information is required you will be contacted by the Program Administrator.
- Selected applicants will be contacted to review next steps, including submission of a valid driver's license, insurance coverage and available pick up dates.
If you are not selected to receive a vehicle, your application will be held on file for six months. You are welcome to re-apply after six months if still in need of a car. Newgate encourages all applicants to continue to look for other sources for transportation as well, since we're only able to fill a small percentage of overall applicant needs.